2013年9月30日星期一

Improve Society




The mission is to improve society, which is quite huge for me. I never thought one day what I do would improve the society. Have I ever improved before?

I worked as a concierge in a bank. I provided guest services, maintained the hall, answered questions and resolved guests’ complaints. I researched data collections for facial recognition and tested programs in technology institutes. I monitored employee attendance and recorded vacation and personal days in IT corporations. I managed campus school boards and produced freshmen handbooks and school journals in my undergraduate. During my work in these days, I helped patrons in a bank, I helped develop applications in tech institutes and I helped inform people what’s going on in our school. So what I did before also improved society a little bit, but I didn’t realize till today.

In my opinion, job positions are created to improve society. In essence, all working human-beings are improving society. The difference is the approach. New librarians improve through facilitating knowledge creation in their communities as Dave point in the Atlas. Other careers may not. But they are still improving. For example, databases or search engines we use to retrieval information for patrons are developed by programmers besides librarians providing IT services. Those programmers develop these systems to improve society in other way. I don’t know how to describe it, but obviously it’s not facilitating through knowledge creation. So we librarians are unique. Actually, I had some talks with my friends about this topic one afternoon. They didn’t agree with my point that all working people are improving society.

I really like the story in the action part, the story about knowledge creation. Any conversations between anybody, if agreements are made during the conversation, knowledge is created, right? What if people know little about the field? What if they are idiots? (No offense.) That’s why this world needs librarians. We librarians are here to guide conversations to improve society~

Ok, I want to improve society by sharing my first painting. lol~ I'm learning Sai. Have to admit that the color is really weird.

没有评论:

发表评论